cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"Distributed" Ethernet Channels on Cisco 3560

laglet_deven
Level 1
Level 1

Can a Catalyst 3560 support Ethernet Channel in different switches? (something like Cross-Stack Ethernet Channel on Catalyst 3750)How can i configure that?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No. However you can implement load-balancing using multiple-VLANs & STP or using equal-cost paths if using layer-3. There is no way you can configure EtherChannel over multiple 3560's.

It may be worth posting some more details as to your network topology for more assistance.

Andy

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

No. However you can implement load-balancing using multiple-VLANs & STP or using equal-cost paths if using layer-3. There is no way you can configure EtherChannel over multiple 3560's.

It may be worth posting some more details as to your network topology for more assistance.

Andy

Thanks Andy, so.. i must use other techique to make the appropiate resilent to the core.

So, the clustering for Catalyst is only for management,( the unique IP address for multiple units)its only an "approach" to the stack, but without other bennefits?

Yes, I always wondered what the benefits were of this 'physudo' stacking. It is just management and personally I think you should avoid it, manage each switch individually.

For resilience (and lots of other reasons....) the best solution is to implement a multi-layer hierarchical model for your campus network. See the design guides here:

http://www.cisco.com/go/srnd

As a rule I would always connect each access layer switch back to two distribution switches (or core if the network is smaller) using unique VLANs per access switch. Alternatively if the access switches are Layer-3 capable then move the layer-3 boundary to the access layer and route out of it.

Andy

I agree with Andrew stay away from clustering it is just a pain in the you know what trying locate devices and addresses in a clustered stack , manage them individually or buy a 3750 stack .

Thanks a lot to you both.!!

I`ll keep away of clustering, and follow (as a guide) the design notes Andrew refer to me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco