cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mesh vs. non-mesh controllers

n.manlangit
Level 1
Level 1

can mesh controllers be mixed with non-mesh controllers (indoor AP)? is it possible to have one roaming for both mesh and non-mesh controllers?

4 Replies 4

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

Obviously a WLC can only have one version of code on it, but if you have two (or more) WLCs, each running different versions of code, then "yes", is the answer. Simply setup a mobility group, configure the same SSIDs on all WLCs, and away you go.

Any questions, just ask.

Richard.

hey Richard, thanks for your reply... appreciate it!

btw, roaming is one thing,,, ap failover is another...

i have 3 WiSM's... and i have only 20 1510 ap's... can the mesh ap's be mixed with the non-mesh ap's in one controller? i plan to reserve/dedicate one controller for the 1510 ap's but failover is the issue... can the mesh ap's failover to the other WLC's, where non-mesh ap's are registered?

thanks for your time!!

Bit of a fuzzy answer for this one.

If you're using new code, the answer is "no". New code is specifically designed for Mesh or None-Mesh deployments, the different types cannot be mixed.

HOWEVER

Older code did support both types, so if you're considering an N+1 redundancy style deployment, and providing you don't mind the failover taking a few minutes, you could leave your "+1" WLC on an older code that does support both types of deployment.

w.r.t. WiSMs, the two controllers that are housed by a single WiSM can quite happily run different versions of code.

Regards,

Richard

whoa! that was quick!!!

thanks, Richard!

thanks for the ideas... really helped a lot....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card