Views
Helpful
Replies

Solution required

nasheer.ahmad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

There is a router which was connected to switch by router fast ethernet and router fast ethernet ip subnet is 10.160.16.0 /24.This router fast ethernet ip is10.160.16.254/24

Now I want to connect another router to the same switch and use the ip from the above subnet and route the traffic through this router to the above router.

Will it work.

5 Replies 5

jheckart
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

Could you be more specific with what you are trying to do here?

You cannot add another router with the same address to the same subnet, but you could use HSRP for redundancy to have a virtual address that both routers shared on the same subnet. This may or may not be what you are looking to accomplish.

Please post with more details.

Thanks,

Jeff

yes you can add the router to the subnet as mentioned above...as i understand ur question on later part you want to route all traffic from new router to old one..if this is the requirement put a default route in new router pointing towards the old ones IP.

Hope this was ur reqirement :)

Hi,

As there are no empty serial ports are available,I want to place another router and provide the conectivity.

How ever we can purchase the NM 4T which will take more time to get approvals.

Meanwhile can I connect the other router to the switch where the main router was connected and assign the other free ip from the same subnet which is using for the 1st router fastethernet and route the traffic through the main router.

Thanks

Nasheer

1. Yes, you can connect another router to the switch & assign IP from same subnet.

2. If you are running routing protocol between the 2 routers & the switch, then no manual intervention required for route selection.

3. However, if you are using static routes then you have to add a couple of routes on the switch & old router for destinations connected to new switch.

You may revert for further assistance.

pls rate if helped.

Hi,

Thank You BVS Narayana and all.

rgds

Nasheer

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card