Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP trap Interface Description

VictorAKur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am trying to get our SNMP monitoring software to show interface descriptions for our Cisco devices when it receives up/down traps. It shows everything else for an interface, apart from the description. The software developers told me that it would be down to Cisco SNMP agent, rather then their software.

Does anyone have any ideas?

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For what device? Our proprietary link traps include ifDescr as a varbind unless snmp-server trap link ietf is configured. In that case, the traps will only contain ifIndex, ifAdminStatus, and ifOperStatus.

This link below suggests ifDescr is included regardless of whether the trap is set to IETF or not. Is it incorrect?

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120limit/120s/120s21/s_ifmib.htm

Yes, you're right. We will include extra varbinds (not defined in the MIB) after the MIB-defined varbinds within the trap PDUs.

The problem is that for the OID ifdescr I get the value of FastEternet x/x for example, not the actual text description I have configured on it.

Depending on the type of originating [Cisco] device, the descriptive labels manually typed in could be in ifName (PIX/CatOS) or ifAlias (IOS).

The local descriptions will not be sent. This kind of information is usually left up to the management application to fetch upon reception of the notification.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: