cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

aironet 1230 local user authentication

rhopkins_nci
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I wasnt sure on the correct title or terms. But I have a separate ssid for student or guest users that is open and has no key. These will be personal laptops of the individual users, so I have no control of their use. But what I did want to do is require them to enter a universal username and password before they can associate or browse the internet. Can this been locally for this one ssid/vlan? Something like, student - student, and I will post in the building so they will know. Any ideas or tips on if this can be done and how to's? If anymore info is needed, let me know. Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

If you have a Wireless LAN Controller or a BBSM, then you can configure them to present a hot-spot style web splash screen, which will challenge users for a username / IP address before allowing them out.

If you don't have a WLC / BBSM, then i'm afraid a Web Auth page is out of the question, along with using EAP (unless you want to do support for all of their laptops!), so then you're back to using a commonly distributed WEP or WPA key. (WEP is more widely supported, but WPA is more secure)

If you're serious about this, also make sure you write down some ACLs / use a Firewall to prevent people from accessing your corporate environment / changing the AP config. Also going to need a big disclaimer to protect you when your clients start hacking each other / spreading virus'.

HTH, any further questions, just ask.

Regards,

Richard.

Maybe I'll just use a simple wep or wpa key for them to enter. Thanks for the help and other ideas. RT.

Hi,

I have a BBSM and trying the same setup where I have a 1200AP with wireless clients. The wireless clients obtain an IP address from the BBSM but cannot browse the internet. The BBSM is not allowing them to do so.

Where in the BBSM do I configure access for wireless clients and how.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: