cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Checking proper QoS Tagging on LWAPP

raun.williams
Level 3
Level 3

Is there away to get the packets from the client out of LWAPP? I can sniff the traffic or all I get is encrypted info. I'd like to take a look at my clients traffic to see if QoS is tagging properly for some voice issues in regards to vocera. Thanks

4 Replies 4

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

LWAPP only encrypts control traffic, normal traffic will just be encapsulated, which any recetn version of WireShark can see in to (last time I checked!).

You should be able to see QoS markings on the packet quite easily.

Packet marking is actually disabled by default, so if you're not seeing any markings on your packets, make sure it's all setup properly within the WLC.

The QoS settings used while traffic is in transit from AP to WLC are dictated by the WLAN / QoS settings on the WLC; any markings provided by the client are ignored.

Hope this helps, any questions, just ask.

Regards,

Richard.

Vocera audio traffic coming from the badge is tagged for DSCP 46.

The Vocera SSID is also required to be set to the Platinum Que on the controller.

If QoS/DSCP markings are not carried forward from the original packet to the encapsulation header, that has some fairly significant ramifications if you are attempting to use VoIP with HREAP access points since the routers will treat the LWAP data traffic the same - regardless of whether it is VoIP or Data.

Are we SURE that the encapsulation header does not have a copy of the QoS bits?

- John

John -

The encapsulation header most certainly does have a copy of the QoS bits. Reference the Voice Over WLAN Configuration Guide v4.1 and there is an example of the packet construction as it flows through the controller.

Regards,

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card