Autonegotiation or 100Full

Unanswered Question
Nov 26th, 2007

I am preparing for my R&S CCIE Lab. In some third-party Lab workbooks, it is mentionned that on a link between a switch and a router fastethernet interface, you have to configure the switch port with 100 Full, even when not asked, or you will loose points; and in other workbooks, the ports are left in autonegotiation. It would be stupid to loose points on such an item. So what is Cisco policy about that?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
compsolv Mon, 11/26/2007 - 09:39

To pass the lab, you just need to configure EXACTLY what they ask you to configure in the various lab exam tasks.

If they do not ask you (directly or indirectly) to configure speed and duplex on links - DO NOT. You would just be wasting valuable time.

Remember, this is not an exam testing your knowledge of best practices.

Anthony J. Sequeira

Pass Your CCIE Written!

http://www.netmasterclass.net/CCIE/Self-Paced-Program/Written

ccbootcamp Mon, 11/26/2007 - 15:25

That's a great question! A tricky part about the CCIE lab exam is the way the questions are worded - you may or may not be told specifically what to configure - just a desired end result. If this is the case, you need to look at what is being asked. If they are telling you specifically to NAIL down the connection to 100 Full, then you definitely better do it. If some part of the question or future question could IMPLY that the connection is to be nailed down at 100F, then you better do it! If it's not specifically mentioned nor implied, then it's up to you. But like Anthony said, don't waste valuable time configuring things which will not effect your lab score.

ttyl

brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

Actions

This Discussion