cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

internet Internet protocol processing disabled

nycdcn123
Level 1
Level 1

i have a serial interface that will not come up and it gives me this error msg "Internet protocol processing disabled" it is WIC 2T smart serial back to back connection..the connection is from one 2611xm to another 2611xm router smart serial. i want to use it for my ccna lab..any idea ?

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Did you assign an IP to that interface ?

You mentioned you have a back-to-back serial connection, did you configure clocking on the DCE end ?

first i used encapsulation type hdlc, then config clocking on the inter..it won't come up, i reconfig the int with ip add and then ecapsulation type ppp..config clocking on dce end , did no shutdown..it won't still come up..everything is down down...do u think it is the cable ?...

The down/down issue may be cable related but I'm concerned about the original message "Internet protocol processing disabled".

Are you still experiencing the message after entering an IP on the interface ?

Can you post the router's config along with the show version output ?

miltongonzalez
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar issue when running ospf. You have to make sure when using authentication that both router have it enable so that neighbor adjacency can transitioned to FULL done. after that, the interface will work. 

Hello

Example FR back-to-back:
R1
int serx/x
no keep
encap frame

ip addres xxxx yyyyyy
frame- relay map ip xxxx 102
Frame-relay interface-dcli 201 ( require for return traffic)
Frame-relau INTF-type DCE
clock rate xxxx

R2
int ser x/x
no keep
encap frame

ip addres xxxx yyyyyy
frame- relay map ip xxxx 201
Frame-relay interface-dcli 102 ( required for return traffic)

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card