SSH not working after RME upgrade to 4.0.6

Answered Question

Hi all

After upgrading RME to 4.0.6 nothing works for SSH devices Archive,Netconfig). I get "RME_CDL1031:Transport session to device failed Could not detect protocols running on the device TELNET: Failed to establish TELNET connection to 10.69.xx.x ".


This was working fine before upgrade from 4.0.5, also the credentials report shows "Failed to connect". I know the credentials are ok since i enabled Telnet in one of the routers to prove credentials OK.


I also tried on a testserver, everything is fine even after CS upgrade to 3.0.6 but after applying RME 4.0.6 I get the same symptom.


Using sniffer i can se the routers responding with "SSH version 1.5" but then it fails.

anyone got a brilliant idea ?

rgds

Mats


Correct Answer by Joe Clarke about 9 years 7 months ago

My patch is available, and does work. If all your devices fail after applying it, the patch must have been corrupted in transit, or was installed incorrectly. That said, the RME 4.0.6 update was just re-posted with my patch. So if you re-download and install RME 4.0.6, the problem will be fixed.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Loading.
sathappan Tue, 11/27/2007 - 01:26
User Badges:

Hi Mats,


Enable SSH in RME -> Admin -> configMgmt ->Transport settings -> Archive mgmt/netconfig.



HTH

sathappan.s

Joe Clarke Tue, 11/27/2007 - 09:38
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

    Founding Member

This error indicates a problem with the data returned from the TCP connection to port 22. You should enable ArchiveMgmt Service debugging under RME > Admin > System Preferences > Loglevel Settings, run a new archive sync operation, then check the dcmaservice.log for errors.


Of course, I'm assuming that before you upgraded to RME 4.0.6, you applied the Common Services 3.0.6 update. If not, you will need to apply the CS 3.0.6 update, then re-apply the RME 4.0.6 update.

Joe Clarke Tue, 11/27/2007 - 14:28
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

    Founding Member

FYI, I tested this locally after upgrading to CS 3.0.6 and RME 4.0.6, and I am not seeing any problems with SSH.

Hi

Thanks for responding quickly.

Yes i have confirmed CS 3.0.6 is ok installed.

Attached output in dcmaservice log after enabling debug. From what I can tell it first says "SSH is running on /10.69.77.1" and then shortly after a FATAL "could not detect protocols running on the device". I have to admit it is not my best skill to read theese debugs, please have a look to see if you can pinpoint the problem.


Btw

I reinstalled RME 4.0.5 on the testserver and synched config on the same 10.69.77.1 router without problem.


rgds

Mats



Attachment: 
Joe Clarke Wed, 11/28/2007 - 00:00
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

    Founding Member

Looks like your installation is bad, or you have re-applied some old patches after installing RME 4.0.6. The NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF/classes/com/cisco/nm/rmeng/util/rmedaa/RMEDeviceContext.class looks bad. The line numbers in your log do not line up with the actual code, but they do on my server.


You might try reinstalling the RME 4.0.6 update. The MD5 checksum for the file above should be:


4d04e1ad1e29a206899c0853857b2fb4 RMEDeviceContext.class


Hi

I reinstalled 4.0.6 on the testserver (Windows 2003, as well as Prod server) no additional patches on the testserver only CS and RME. sych failed again.


The RMEDeviceContext.class got a different checksum on my system, but is the same on both servers as well as timestamp and bytesize.

But the culprit must be RMEDeviceContext.class, as I did an "ugly" test on the testserver and swaped it to 4.0.5 version and restarted, archivesynch is ok after that.


Fileinfo:

ab9c8b46e27a87719d01f66b8343f9da 2007-11-15 11:33 22 009 RMEDeviceContext.class


any idea ?

rgds

mats

Joe Clarke Wed, 11/28/2007 - 10:09
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

    Founding Member

I have a strong feeling the Windows RME 4.0.6 is broken. I assume you're testing on Windows?

Joe Clarke Wed, 11/28/2007 - 10:55
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

    Founding Member

I have confirmed the Windows update is bad. If you download the Solaris update, extract it, you will find an RMEDeviceContext.class. That is a good version. Simply replace your version with that one, restart dmgtd, and you'll be fine.

Joe Clarke Thu, 11/29/2007 - 08:35
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

    Founding Member

I see the problem. Please open a TAC service request, and have your engineer contact me for the patch.

Correct Answer
Joe Clarke Tue, 12/04/2007 - 07:37
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

    Founding Member

My patch is available, and does work. If all your devices fail after applying it, the patch must have been corrupted in transit, or was installed incorrectly. That said, the RME 4.0.6 update was just re-posted with my patch. So if you re-download and install RME 4.0.6, the problem will be fixed.

Actions

This Discussion