cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuration Problem With Pix 515

aquaholic77
Level 1
Level 1

We have been trying to reinstall the config via hyperterminal after one of our engineers saved dodgy config that now prevents us access to the unit any other way.

When loading the backup config as a txt copy and paste, a lot of the objects return a message saying that the config cannot be written as the object exists.

Is it possible to set the backup to overwrite and if so how?

4 Replies 4

husycisco
Level 7
Level 7

"When loading the backup config as a txt copy and paste"

a txt? This is not the correct way of backing config up or restoring.

For backing up

copy running-config: tftp:\\ipaddress\config.cfg

For restoring

copy tftp:\\ipaddress\config.cfg running-config:

Above merges your current config with config.cfg, so you better load startup config and reload PIX

copy tftp:\\ipaddress\config.cfg startup-config:

following attacment is an example config file. You can see (you can open with notepad) difference between this and simple plain txt.

If you put the square boxes at the end of your lines in txt (just like the one I uploaded) then you can

copy tftp:\\ipaddress\config.txt startup-config:

Regards

I am unable to tftp. I have the cfg backups but do not know if these can be be imported any other way that tftp?

if you want to go to an extreme you can issue a "write erase" to wipe out the config complete and then you should be able to cut and paste the backup that you have. if the config is lengthy i would recommend only pasting 20 or so lines at a time as sometimes a hyperterminal buffer can skip a character causing all other commands to error out.

husycisco
Level 7
Level 7

Start the PIX in monitor mode and do tftp, or post your current config for us to clean it up enough to tftp.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card