cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problematic 6509?

Ibbywannit
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to test out some modules on a 6509 but i get a problem on booting with the following display:

System Bootstrap, Version 7.1(1)

Copyright (c) 1994-2001 by cisco Systems, Inc.

c6k_sup2 processor with 262144 Kbytes of main memory

Autoboot executing command: "boot slot0:"

Read cis from dev 0 error (-6)PCMCIA slot0 device is not initialized

open: read error...requested 0x4 bytes, got 0x0

trouble reading device magic number

boot: cannot open "slot0:"

boot: cannot determine first file name on device "slot0:"

System Bootstrap, Version 7.1(1)

Copyright (c) 1994-2001 by cisco Systems, Inc.

c6k_sup2 processor with 262144 Kbytes of main memory

Autoboot executing command: "boot slot0:"

Read cis from dev 0 error (-6)PCMCIA slot0 device is not initialized

open: read error...requested 0x4 bytes, got 0x0

trouble reading device magic number

boot: cannot open "slot0:"

boot: cannot determine first file name on device "slot0:"

this message just keeps looping continuously and i can't even log on.

Also i was trying to do a password recovery (on a 6509 supervisor module) and i managed to bypass the password with the boot bootflash: command, but when i try to replicate this i get no joy - the switch just keeps booting into rommon mode. Any ideas?

2 Replies 2

graemeporter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there!

I'm no expert on the 6509, but I have done some work on them in the last year; hopefully this is correct.

The line "Read cis from dev 0 error (-6)PCMCIA slot0 device is not initialized" seems significant.

From what I remember, "trouble reading device magic number" means that the OS image may be corrupt; possibly bad checksum?

I would try replacing the PCMCIA memory card with a known good one. Depending on where your 6509 boots the OS image from, you may need to put an image on the PCMCIA card.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards

Graeme

I think you may be onto something there Graeme. I changed over the PCMCIA card to another one (even though the other image was suspect to corruption) and it started to load. The following message came up

*** System received a Software forced crash ***

signal= 0x17, code= 0x41e10000, context= 0x41e355a4

PC = 0x402d146c, Cause = 0x1820, Status Reg = 0x34018002

This image is also corrupted. Where would i get a new image from? How would i upload it? I would presume that this is uploaded from the TFTP server once i get a decent image.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: