cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DiRT - / DirtyRestore

nordendale
Level 4
Level 4

I am doing a second DiRT restore with the /DirtyRestore switch. Will Exmerge replace the messages in the users mailboxes using the new PST files or merge the new PST files with the messages from the previous DiRT restore?

5 Replies 5

ranpierce
Level 6
Level 6

I have done this before but honestly I can't remember. I have to say though that I think that it replaces and not merges. I would advise testing first though with anything that has to do with DiRT.

/DirtyRestore - This option allows the DiRT restore to proceed even if the local system is not a clean, new installation. The restore is itself is not affected - the checks for a new installation are to be sure sites do not accidentally wipe out a production system they did not intend to. Again, this option should be used if TAC is working with you - DiRT will wipe out all Unity specific data on a running system if you use this option, please use with caution.

rlp

Thanks fro the reply-

I have done the test but because the system I am doing the restore from is live (and very busy) and I am doing the restore on new hardware, the message counts are off. It looks like it replaced them but I was hoping to get confirmation.

Casey

I am sorry then I just can not remember from my testing, need to do it again.

this is strait from CiscoUnityTools

/DirtyRestore --- DiRT will wipe out all Unity specific data on a running system if you use this option, please use with caution.

rlp

Does /DirtyRestore create wipe out the A/D Users? I was receiving an error stating that it was not synchronising w/User mailboxes...then, the sytem blue screened!

yikes.

DiRT doesn't ever delete AD objects for any reason. It couldn't even if it wanted to. It calls the SQLSyncSvr process (Same thing called by the Unity setup at the end) and it'll bind to existing AD users or create new ones as needed - the help file has details on how the search for user objects works.

If the syncher was failing it sounds like the underlying Unity server you were restoring to was not health or fully functional. The synch is actually done by the Unity directory services process, not DiRT.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: