Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS Network Prioritization

r-tyrell
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to prioritize traffic from our network to 63.241.29.0/25

I have tried using the priority bandwidth (1544 in this example) and the priority % under the

QoS policy-map class configuration with what seems like no effect on traffic to this network.

If anyone can confirm this configuration is correct or recommend a better solution please

advise. Thank you!

class-map match-all Plato

match access-group 110

policy-map QoS

class Plato

priority 1544

access-list 110 permit ip any 63.241.29.0 0.0.0.127

access-list 110 permit ip 63.241.29.0 0.0.0.127 any

inbound and outbound internet facing interface:

service-policy output QoS

8 Replies 8

a.cruea1980
Level 3
Level 3

You don't need the inbound statement, as technically, it's not really possible to queue inbound traffic.

When I do class-map, I always do "match-any". I believe that causes the class to match any of the stated requirements it contains to be implemented.

Thanks for the "match-any" info, I didn't even think of that.

-Rick

mheusing
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

A couple of questions:

- What is the problem you want to solve with your policy?

- What is the interface type and speed you apply the policy to?

- Can you post the interface config?

- Can you post the output of "show policy-map interface"?

- Are you aware that queueing will only be effective, if the interface is overloaded?

In case no overload condition exists, all traffic is sent at line rate, i.e. there is no different behaviour to be seen.

Also be aware that the priority queue has a policer configured with it, which will drop excess packets ONLY in an overload condition. So in my experience "bandwidth 1544" gives much better results for everything that is not real time traffic.

Regards, Martin

I work at a college and students take online courses through an outside vendor called Plato. Their data center is in San Diego (63.241.29.0/25) we are in Kansas City. Students have been complaining of very slow application peformance. I have been given the following url to perform bandwidth testing http://myspeed-sd.platoweb.com/TestSelect.html and have received poor results averaging about .5Mb download speeds. We have a 40Mb ATM connection to our service provider. I am performing QoS on other P2P traffic. Attached is a portion of our router config and the show policy-map interface command. Thank you for your response.

Well, your Bittorrent traffic is fairly highly allowed. Although, just curious, why don't you lump in Bittorrent with the other P2P apps?

Also, do ATM1 and F0/0 both go to the internet? I just ask, because you might well think of shaping your P2P traffic on the university side or your router instead of on the ATM interface that connects you to your ISP.

Just a thought, and I'm not thinking really clear right now. :-\

The Fa0/0 link is the connection to campus, while the ATM1/0.1 link is to the internet. I did leave the Bittorrent somewhat higher because some people in the Information Services department use it for legitimate downloads (so they say). I noticed that I did not have a bandwidth statement on the Fa0/0 link so I added that. I configured it to be 40Mb, that is the size of our internet connection. Now hopefully some QoS traffic will be limited that was not otherwise.

Well, I was going to suggest shaping and policing your traffic on the uni side, and prioritizing and queuing on the WAN side.

If you shape and police on the uni side, then you can more finely control your Bittorrent to just the subnet in your IS dept. instead of the entire campus going ape with it.

Just a thought, and that's really the only time you can really apply a service policy inbound (when your traffic from the LAN is coming in).

Hope that's somewhat helpful and constructive for you.

[edit]Which makes me realize, on F0/0, you want an inbound policy. On ATM1/0.1, you want an outbound.

Hi,

I have a IP-VPN In Office (similar frame-relay).

I want to control traffic by percentage for specific network for some servers.How to proceed......

Regards

Irshard Zahir

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card