cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth per Call Onhold

Hieu Cao
Level 4
Level 4

If we have a total of 10 incoming calls in queue in a call center, and 5 of them are being answered by the reps, and the remaining 5 calls are waiting in queue and customers would listen to music while on hold at this point. Does anyone know how much bandwidth is being used for each call on hold? I think it's taking the same amount of bandwidht per VoiP call, which is approx. 90kbps. I am running mgcp, g711ulaw over ethernet.

Thanks for any input.

hieu

5 Replies 5

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This is correct if you're using unicast MOH. If you're using multicast MOH, the bandwidth consumption would be considerably less as all phones would be listening to the same multicast stream.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon for your response. I don't acutally manage the Cisco Call Manager, so is there a way to verify that MOH is unicast or multicast?

thanks!

hieu

I found the answer to my own question. I'll get in touch with the Call Manager admin, so he can check the setting on the server.

hieu

Unicast is the default. In Callmanager, the MOH server, MOH audio source and the media resource group must all be enabled for multicast for MOH to be delivered via multicast. You could check these settings. You could also use a sniffer to see if the packets are coming from a multicast address.

Brandon

Thanks again, Brandon. Yep, our system is currently set for "unicast", so I'll look into changing it to "multicast" to see if it's helping out with the bandwidth issue..

hieu