cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting discovered devices into RME on LMS 3.0

ktokashhh
Level 1
Level 1

Hey *, kind of a noob question here, although I've been scouring docs before posting. I have no CW experience, and we just got LMS 3.0. I need to auto-discover the devices, which I've been able to do ... kind of. I see 17 devices (I started with a single distribution switch) in Campus Manager's home page, but I can't figure out what to do with them. I need them in RME obviously, but AFAIK I need them to be in the credential manager first, which I can't figure out how to do.

If anyone has any advice or a doc to read (preferably a specific part as I have a 996 page RME PDF and a 594 page CM PDF open at the moment) I'm all ears. Or eyes, as it were. :)

Our rig:

CiscoWorks Common Services 3.1.0

Campus Manager 5.0.0

Cisco View 6.1.6

Device Fault Manager 3.0.0

Internetwork Performance Monitor 4.0.0

Integration Utility 1.7.0

RME 4.1.0

Running on ESX, which I know isn't supported until about next month or so.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DNS or a local hosts file is required for Discovery to add name information to DCR.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

RME will manage all devices in DCR by default. Discovery will send all reachable devices it finds into DCR. If none of your discovered devices are reachable, then that would explain why DCR is empty. Discovery uses SNMP to communicate with all of the devices it finds via CDP or via the static seed list. Therefore, verify that your SNMP credentials are correct for all of your devices.

Gotcha, that was it. I thought the default credentials were being called but it looks like we have to specify the RO string under CM itself. Fair enough, done.

A quick follow-up. Is DNS necessary for every switch/router for LMS to add a name? We haven't got all the gear in DNS, and I'd love for device discovery to add the name based on the configured device name. I tried the "Resolve By Name" and "Resolve By SysName" options but it still leaves all the gear not in DNS unresolved.

DNS or a local hosts file is required for Discovery to add name information to DCR.