UC500 and QoS

Unanswered Question
Nov 27th, 2007

Is it just me or does the Config Assistant (v1.0) not put in any QoS settings in the configuration???

So here's the setup...teleworker office with 1 phone VPN'd back to UC500 (with Easy VPN Server). Both sites have DSL internet connection with 512Kbps upload. The teleworker site phone registers fine and makes off-net calls to PSTN via the UC500. 80% of the voice traffic between the sites is fine, but every now and then the users complain about voice issues. So there's a QoS issue - rather a lack of QoS.

Anyone have any experience with QoS on the UC500 line and voice???

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Brandon Buffin Thu, 11/29/2007 - 13:16

With DSL, you can only configure QoS up to the DSL modem. Once it hits the modem and goes into the service provider cloud, you have no control over QoS. That being said, you do want to configure QoS. Just be aware, that you may still experience degraded voice quality at times. Take a look at the following sections of the link below.

WAN Aggregator QoS Design -> WAN Edge Classification and Provisioning Models -> Slow/Medium Link-Speed QoS Class Models

WAN Aggregator QoS Design -> WAN Edge Link-Specific QoS Design -> Frame Relay -> Slow Speed Frame Relay Links

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns432/c649/ccmigration_09186a008049b062.pdf

This will give you a good start at classifyinng and marking voice traffic at the edge.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

m-ketchum Sun, 12/30/2007 - 20:34

Unless your provider supports QoS there isn't much you can do, but at a minimum you could prioritize packets before they leave each of your sites.

Steven Juras Mon, 12/31/2007 - 08:53

Exactly...and that's understood. In my region I seriously doubt any of the providers (MediaCom and/or Comcast) would support QoS.

So prioritizing packets as the exit the Internet facing interface is certainly better than nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions / thoughts on this?

m-ketchum Mon, 12/31/2007 - 09:02

Research QoS pre-classify as well as priority queues. That should give you enough info to give your encrypted (VPN) RTP packets priority when leaving your routers.

Actions

This Discussion