cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP - Advertisement request

ali.bengtsson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi i'm having some difficulties finding in depth information about advertisement request message start value. when a client or server request for vlan update the start value is set to 0x6772.

what hexdecimal number is set in an advertisement request start value if an advertisement is lost for instance, and what does 0x6672 signify ?

any help or referral to documentation is much appreciated.

Thanks

Ali B

3 Replies 3

udaemen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ali,

on VTP it will start with a base number. Any futher update will have a higher sequence number. So that the VTP database if it can accept the update

Hello Ali, [Do Rate if HELPS]

In VTP Advertisements the Sequence Number is Increamented everytime a new VTP Information is advertised from Server to Clients.

Sequence Numbers are nothing but the Revision Number.

Refer the Easy Chapter in this Google Books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=AL3VpZVipXEC&pg=PA231&lpg=PA231&dq=vtp+advertisement+numbers&source=web&ots=PaXDXxItc0&sig=HCJkc-8EprYrvy4rb9WQChOa-Qk

Do Rate all HELPFUL POSTS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

ali.bengtsson
Level 1
Level 1

cheers guys, for your help. i did some network analysis of the advertisement request message start value, and i found the hexadecimal value reflects on the first two characthers of the domain name. for instance i had a VTP domain name called group1, the advertisement request message had a start value of 0x6772 which indicates gr from the domain name group1. could anyone please correct me if im wrong on this one. cheers

Ali B

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card