cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lab

korbenda11as
Level 1
Level 1

Hi kindly help me with the configuration, I have attached the diagram. i have connected two 7206 and two 2851 routers making the two 7206 as frame-switch and using serial ports back-to-back and i was able to ping the ip address assigned to the routers. Now, what configuration will i put to 7206 frame switch to access other routers, say from router A to B&C. Also, can I also use the 7206 to connect to router A since I used it as frame switch? thanks! pls. find attached diagram.

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to configure dynamic or static routing between these devices. It's up to you what kind of routing protocol you want to implement but devices that aren't directly connected such as: A, B and C need their directly connected neighbors to tell them how to reach other devices.

The connection between A and the 7206 router can be either PPP, HDLC or Frame-Relay.

Without knowing the requirements, I can't tell you what to configure here.

thanks, basically the main plan is to have one router to act as frame_switch, just like hub and spoke, three routers will connect to the frame_switch router, unfortunately i'm short of serial cables for back-to-back. What other recommendation you can give? this is just for Lab purposes. another thing, i configure the frame_switch for a static route serial as my next hop so that router A can reach other network, but it doesnt work, why?

I forgot, what other type of connection you can recommend since i am short of one serial cable? I want to experience frame connection for this lab. thanks

Since you are learning, I recommend starting in phases - don't make it too complicated.

I had a headache just looking at your diagram :)

Start with point-to-point connections (HDLC).

Then move into PPP and play with authentication.

Then move onto frame-relay (you don't need to have a dedicated frame-relay switch) in back-to-back fashion.

Here is a good write-up on how to configure frame-relay on back-to-back.

http://www.internetworkexpert.com/resources/backtoback-framerelay.htm

thanks edison

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco