cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3548 Switch gets disconnected

rmathiyalagan
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Ghost cast server and whenever a multicast session from a client starts, this switch gets disconnected and comes back after the session is over. any idea why this happens..

3548 is connected to a 3550 to which the ghost case server is connected. 3 more 2950s are connected to the 3550 from where the client sessions gets intiated.

Trunk port config given below:-

3550:-

interface FastEthernet0/48

description XCONN-2-SW4

switchport access vlan 230

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 230,235,260

switchport mode trunk

speed 100

duplex full

no cdp enable

3548:-

interface FastEthernet0/48

description XCONN-2-SW1

duplex full

speed 100

switchport access vlan 230

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

no cdp enable

3 Replies 3

rmathiyalagan
Level 1
Level 1

How does IGMP helps multicast problem. Before enabling, want some opinions on it..

IGMP is a protocol between a receiver and a router, and it enables the receiving host to tell the router that it is interested in a certain multicast stream. Without it, the router would not forward the stream (sparse mode), or would cut off the stream after a certain time (dense mode).

IGMP snooping is a feature on a switch. Without it, the switch floods all multicasts to all ports. With IGMP snooping, the switch does not flood multicasts except where it has seen a host that says (IGMP) that it is interested in the multicast stream.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

In my case, if i enable IGMP globally will it help or would it be better if i go by vlan wise snooping.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card