cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Broadcast Storm control on 6509 w/Sup32 not available

swharvey
Level 3
Level 3

Any know why the interface level command "storm-control broadcase level xx" is not accepted on a 6509e with a Sup32 module? The device is running 12.2.(18) SXF11, and the command is availble, but the switch reports back the following error:

switch1(config-if)#storm-control broadcast level 50

Command Rejected: Broadcast suppression is not supported on Gi2/2

The module is a WS-X6148A-GE-45AF

Here is the configuration of the port:

interface GigabitEthernet2/1

description Sales PC and Phone

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan xxx

switchport trunk allowed vlan xxx,yyy

switchport mode trunk

switchport voice vlan yyy

no ip address

spanning-tree portfast trunk

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-Scott

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No supported on Classic GE modules, only on 10/100 modules.

If you need broadcast suppression on GE modules, you need a x67xx module

Thanks for the answer. Sadly, that sucks. Even the lower end 4506's support storm-control on WS-X4548-GB-RJ45V 1Gb modules.

Too bad...

Thanks for digging these links up. Technically, on the 6500 URL you sent, they do not reference the newer WS-X6148A-GE-45AF blade, so how would I have known that broadcast storm control does not work on these cards? The X6148A is not referenced in their list of blades that don't support storm-control.

Weak sauce...

And while I'm on my soapbox, I honestly think this this limiation should be a subsection on the webpage called "Limiations" rather than a mere "Note"

Here is the excerpt of the link you sent:

"The WS-X6548-GE-TX, WS-X6548V-GE-TX, WS-X6148-GE-TX, and WS-X6148V-GE-TX switching modules do not support traffic storm control."

I'm writing our account manager next so he can share my love with the 6500 PM.

Thanks

Yes, That documentation needs to be updated to reflect the newer classic cards.

I found a newer documentation (12.2.SFX)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/storm.html

Configuration Guidelines and Restrictions

When configuring traffic storm control, follow these guidelines and restrictions:

•The WS-X6548-GE-TX, WS-X6548V-GE-TX, WS-X6148-GE-TX, WS-X6148A-GE-TX, and WS-X6148V-GE-TX switching modules do not support traffic storm control, nor do versions of these modules equipped with inline power (Power over Ethernet, or PoE) daughtercards.

•The switch supports multicast and unicast traffic storm control on Gigabit and 10 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports. Most FastEthernet switching modules do not support multicast and unicast traffic storm control, with the exception of WS-X6148A-RJ-45 and the WS-X6148-SFP.

•The switch supports broadcast traffic storm control on all LAN ports except on those modules previously noted.

•Except for BPDUs, traffic storm control does not differentiate between control traffic and data traffic.

•When multicast suppression is enabled, traffic storm control suppresses BPDUs when the multicast suppression threshold is exceeded on these modules:

-WS-X6748-SFP

-WS-X6724-SFP

-WS-X6748-GE-TX

-WS-X6748-GE-TX

-WS-X6704-10GE

-WS-SUP32-GE-3B

-WS-SUP32-10GE-3B

When multicast suppression is enabled on the listed modules, do not configure traffic storm control on STP-protected ports that need to receive BPDUs.

Except on the listed modules, traffic storm control does not suppress BPDUs.

This should address the lack of information on the previous link.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco