cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Factory Reset - 7960 Series Phone

jaydien1358
Level 3
Level 3

Hello. I've got a frustrating issue here. I just purchased a 7960 IP Phone and would like to perform a factory reset on the unit. I have followed the directions in the following article but my phone doesn't respond as it should.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/AVVID/7960_default.html

When I power up the unit and hold down the # key, I never see the message stating that a factory reset initiated or similar. The current load is different from what I use and need to get it to reload.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

Brian

7 Replies 7

Not applicable

Are you using Callmanager or Callmanger express? Create a DHCP in the callcontrol software server/Router, and put the phone directly to the switch which is connected to the callmanager or callmanager express.

No unfortunately I am not. I am using a 3rd party software PBX. But I have verified that my # key works :) I can't figure out why I can't do a factory reset to completely wipe out the phone...??

Brian

Hi,

when you turn on the phone, does it goes to show something on the display? Powering on with # pressed, what happens ?

When I power my phone on, it boots up normally like the rest of my phones but it has some old POS3 load on it and I am unable to provision it manually. I believe it has a SKINNY load on it currently and I would like to upgrade it to a SIP load. I have all the correct binaries and have done this many times previously by just doing a factory reset and putting the right files in my TFTP directory.

But when I power the phone on while holding #, it lights up headset steady for a fews seconds, then mute steady for a few seconds, then the speaker button, then it goes into normal boot.

I believe at this point, it should flash all three buttons and I can then enter 123456789*0# to reset. But it never gets that far.

BTW, I have verified that the # button does in fact work.

I wish there was I way I could open up the phone and change a jumper to manually force a reset or something. Kind of like what you can do on a motherboard for a BIOS reset.

Brian

Hi,

the phone doesn't have any jumpers inside as far as I know.

It is strange that the # is not recognized.

You can try preparing a SEPxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.cnf.xml on the tftp server specifying the load you want. The phone should then upgrade to that load.

I'm assuming the xxxxxxx 's is the load that I want to upgrade to? i.e. SEPP0S3-08-6-00.cnf.xml ?

How should the contents of the file be setup?

Brian

Hi, the xx in the filename are the mac address, however failing that the phone will look also for a fixed filename. The format is as follows:

P00308000700

Try not to upgrade many releases away from what is currently in the phone because certain jump upgrades are unlikely to work.