cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN Scalability - Best Practices?

BrianChernish
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have our coporate office running in Class "C" address space (253 hosts)and are just about out of addresses. We use a combination of 3750 and 3550 switches in our server room. Currently around 150 PCs, 50 Servers and 50 other devices (printers, routers, switches). We also have a separate subnet and vlan for our Cisco voice traffic. I can see our needs doubling in the next few years, so I thought why not quadrouple my available address space.

What are people's thoughts on whether I should re-IP with one supernet (10.100.0.0 /22 - 1022 hosts) or should I try to break up the space with different smaller Class C spaces and route as needed. We also have 30 remote offices that connect into here with VPNs. Those smaller offices currently enjoy a Class C address space each. What will hurt me worse... brodcasts in one contiguous supernet or the routing between segregated subnets? Any thoughts?

P.S. We will NOT switch to IPv6 until they come and drag us there!

Thanks in advance.

Brian

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

>should I try to break up the space with different smaller Class C spaces and route as needed

I highly recommend this approach.

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

Since now u r on class C, it is better to migrate to 172.16.0.0/16 series. you may subnet this network as per requirements.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco