Setting up a R&S ccie lab

Answered Question

I am new to CCIE lab and I have 1 3620,3 2516, 1 2501. I don't have much to spend, so want to keep as low as possible.

I'd like to hear your expertise as to which switches or routers I need to buy?

I know this is more a subjective question. I want to get to a point where both experimental scope and expense are reasonable.

Thanks,

Han,

Correct Answer by ccbootcamp about 9 years 4 months ago

simulator is okay, but there's nothing like having the real thing baby!

there's just a lot of different anomolies you can run into with running on real gear. I've seen bad dram, bad nvram, all sorts of weird things happen with bad modules. if you REALLY want to learn, get yourself some real equipment.

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

Overall Rating: 3.8 (8 ratings)
alessandroye Thu, 11/29/2007 - 03:26
User Badges:

Hi,

It is better that u've your own devices. But all of them are routers. Recently, there are 6 routers and 4 switches that u must operate in recent CCIE exam.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/rs/lab_equipment.html

Although it is consideral difficult to own all devices, u need 2 MLS Switches(3550/3560) at least.

Meanwhile,u need other devices which u don't configurate.

1 Router(Cisco4000/4500series) simulates as FR Switch in the whole experiment.

1 Router(Cisco2511) do Terminal Server to be convenient in operate all devices.

Correct Answer
ccbootcamp Thu, 11/29/2007 - 07:48
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

simulator is okay, but there's nothing like having the real thing baby!

there's just a lot of different anomolies you can run into with running on real gear. I've seen bad dram, bad nvram, all sorts of weird things happen with bad modules. if you REALLY want to learn, get yourself some real equipment.

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

ccbootcamp Thu, 11/29/2007 - 05:30
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Check out the 3560 8-port switch. It will run enterprise IOS. That is the perfect CCIE R&S home lab switch.

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

Actions

This Discussion