Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX reload

pooria_koleyni
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have no experience workign with cisco PIX . we have a pix ont the netwrok that reloded. I want to know required commands to gather information that help to find root cause of problem

thx

4 Replies 4

andyjames
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Once it has reloaded you will not get any information from it. It is erased during the reload process.

You can set up syslog to a server on the network if required to have the info if it happens again.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a0080094030.shtml

That URL runs through the syslog setup, I use KIWI for the syslog daemon.

HTH.

Hi Andy,

Right, one it's reloaded there's not much that can be collected to determine what happened. The "show version" command of the PIX lacks the reload reason, unlike the "show version" command of IOS.

One thing that I would suggest the original poster to try the "show crashinfo" command - if the PIX reloaded because of a software bug there is a chance a crashinfo file will exist, and the information in that file can be used to determine if the problem is caused by an existing bug (for which there may be a version with the fix) or by a new bug that requires further Cisco engagement.

Logging to a syslog server is always a good idea.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Eloy.-

By the way, the "show crashinfo" command was introduced in PIX software version 6.3(1). If the software version is < 6.3.x then the crash info is just dumped to the serial console. If there is no terminal connected to the serial console then this information is lost.

elparis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What PIX model and software version?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: