Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Authorization using LOCAL Database

kirkpad01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Has anyone been able to configure Authorizatiohn using the local username/password on the ASA? I'm trying to set it up so that only certain user can get access to certain public IP addresses by using Cut Through Proxy. When I go to configure it, is says Authorization is only possible for TACACS+ or RADIUS. Is this correct?

2 Replies 2

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

This should be possible on ASA. You will have to specify the keyword LOCAL to specify the use of the local database for AAA features. For Example username password privilege . Refer URL

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa71/configuration/guide/aaa.html#wp1084748

Hi,

yeah I looked at that but it doesnt work for network authorization. In the URL it also says.....

This section describes how to manage users in the local database. You can use the local database for CLI access authentication, privileged mode authentication, command authorization, network access authentication, and VPN authentication and authorization. You cannot use the local database for network access authorization. The local database does not support accounting........

I just find it odd that Cisco have left network authorization out, using the local database.Is it because they want people to spend money on ACS?? In the end I had to spend a lot of time setting up an unnecessary Windows IAS RADIUS server and used cisco AV-pairs to pass ACL filters to the ASA on a per user basis. It took an awful long time to resolve just to implement a user network authorization system. Painful!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card