Helpful
Replies

WS-X4418-GB Module query

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi All,

On cisco website I found this info:

The WS-X4418-GB Gigabit Ethernet switching module offers two dedicated 1000BASE-X (GBIC) ports (ports 1 and 2) and 16 oversubscribed (possibly blocking) 1000BASE-X (GBIC) Gigabit Ethernet ports.Ports 1 and 2 each have 1-Gbps dedicated bandwidth.The 16 oversubscribed ports (ports 3 through 18) are multiplexed in four groups of four ports each:

•Ports 3, 5, 7, 9

•Ports 4, 6, 8, 10

•Ports 11, 13, 15, 17

•Ports 12, 14, 16, 18

So, my question is, incase if we connect for Ex: gig 4/1 on One switch to gig 4/3 on Second switch(for 1Gbps), and using gig port 4/5,4/7 ,4/10) on second switch for connecting to servers, then will it give 1Gbps bw on gig4/1 <-->gig4/3..?

please advice.

Thank you all in advance.

MS

2 Replies 2

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

It will give Gig bandwidth on any port. It would only be an issue if all the ports in the groups were speaking at the same time and the total traffic in the group came to more than 1 Gig. Then it would start dropping the excess frames.

(BTW, this is a 4500, isn't it? 'cos if it's a 4006 with SII there is another issue concerning the supervisor card, but I shall not go into detail here.)

It's like telephones. There are 500 telephones in your building, but only 64 outside lines. Each telephone can call out with no degradation in service. That's fine so long as they don't all try dialling out at the same time. That's what is called "over-subscription".

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Thank you...

MS

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card