Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving between AP - Roaming or Not Roaming

elio_mota
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I am giving the first steps and i need help!

The problem is:

I need to have a continuous wireless connection to work with 15 PDAs (fujitsu N560) and i already have 4 CISCO 1121 AP and it work!

Each PDA connects to a computer by terminal services.

The problem is, when I moving from one AP to other AP working with PDA's Terminal Service it simply disconnect, because it seems that the AP are not well configured.

My question is, this is possible??? change between AP and not have the problem of be disconnected.

To do this i need something special APs?

I hear to talk about roaming or repeaters.. this works for this problem?

Thanks and once again... Thanks

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

If there is more than one Cisco AP in the wireless LAN, wireless client devices can roam seamlessly from one AP to another. The roaming functionality is based on signal quality, not proximity. When the signal quality drops, it roams to another AP.

Wireless LAN users are sometimes concerned when a client device stays associated to a distant Cisco AP instead of roaming to a closer AP. However, if a client signal to a distant Cisco AP remains strong and the signal quality is high, the client does not roam to a closer AP. In fact, to check constantly for closer Cisco APs is inefficient. The extra radio traffic would slow throughput on the wireless LAN.

Note: To achieve seamless roaming, all of the Cisco APs must be configured considering the fact that they are on the same subnet.

For more information refer to this guide :

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps441/products_tech_note09186a00805190f1.shtml

Hi rrjoas45 thanks for posting!

My problem it's really that. My Fujitsu N560 devices, does not change from AP until they lose the entire signal... Working with the terminal service to access a computer (server) to work with programs... while the PDA is losing signal it is going slower and slower till break the connection and than it closes the terminal service!! I'm always reconnecting.

The main goal it's to work with 20 PDA's in an open-space warehouse with 8 APs. The warehouse as many "corners" and "hidden" places that we need many APs because we are moving from one place to other...

We are waiting for one new SD wireless antenna to install in the PDA to test if the problem is from the default antenna that came with the N560. We are suspecting that the problem is coming from the wireless software manager that does not manage the signal correctly!!

If you have some information that can be useful I will be thankful.

Best regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card