cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DiRT, ExMerge to move over 200 users to new Unity Server

r.stockton
Level 1
Level 1

Customer has a Unity 4.x server that is migrating to new hardware 5.x server (Exchange voice messaging configuration - not UM). Customer already as the 4.x server built to match.

I was advised by a TAC engineer sometime back that ExMerge is not supported on boxes with >200 users. (this configuration is 350 users).

Is there another method to do this? Perhaps using 3rd party BackupExec w/Exchange Agent?

The plan is to move the users over then upgrade the new server.

6 Replies 6

ranpierce
Level 6
Level 6

DiRT is not reccomened and (probably is no supported by TAC) for over 200 users. But that does not mean it does not work for 350.

I would say test it in the lab first.

Also Microsoft Exchange Exmerge you can use and it does support more than 200. I am checking for sure right now.

rlp

Microsoft Exmerge has no limitations on the number of mailboxes that can be moved that I can find.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327304

rlp

Thanks. Also, TAC confirmed that for server migrations, DiRT is supported for >200

So, I'm getting conflicting reports...nothing new here in that respects though!

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are they going to use the same message store or new message store?

Nothing conflicting. Let me give you the final answer you can take to the bank - I wrote DiRT and the help file and all DiRT issues end up floating to my desk sooner or later.

What I was TRYING to say in the help file which seems to throw everyone off is that for REGULAR NIGHTLY BACKUPS, DiRT with ExMERGE is NOT an appropriate tool for larger sites. In other words don't try and save a few bucks by not buying a proper Exchange backup tool and go with DiRT instead.

You can move thousands of users with ExMERge and DiRT if you want. IF you've got the time and the HD space, go wild. For a one time migration/move operation, this is fine.

OK?

Let TAC know. :) haha..

So here is a question for you. If Im upgrading Unity 5.x from 4.x VMO. I have one box with W2k and E2k. I would a DIRT export of database and messages. Copy these files off the server.

Reload the server with Windows 2003, Exchange 2003, SQL 2000 and Unity 4.x. Same Name, same IP, etc.

DIRT restore.

Schema update

Then run Unity 5.x inplace.

Thought I would throw it out there to see if those approach would work. I have not tried it in the lab yet.

NORMAL clients, buy a new server and we can just use the Global Migration tool and bamo.. works like a champ.

Thanks Jeff!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: