Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuration Synchronization with Remote firewall

mohsin.khan
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have 2 pairs of pri/sec firewalls placed at remote locations. Each pair is working in a failover mode, that is, SITE-1-FW1 is being synchronized with SITE-1-FW2, and same is the case with SITE-2 firewalls.

Now, i am planning to upgrade SITE-2 firewalls, and for that i need to make sure that both pairs (on SITE-1 and SITE-2) should have up-to-date config. SO that i will route my traffic to SITE-1, will upgrade firewalls on SITE-2, and then will do the same for SITE-1. My question is, who can i automate this synchronization process, on firewalls placed at remote location.

7 Replies 7

mohsin.khan
Level 3
Level 3

Help needed

Can you be more specific on your requirements?

is it possible to update the ACLs of site-1 FW pair, on the site-2 FW pair automatically? I mean whenever someone adds/edit an ACL on site-1-FW pair, site-2-FW pair may automatically get updated?

In a word - no. The lan failover-syncronisation is between 2 firewalls in either active/standby or active/active, locally.

I would find it very strange to find any network where the same IP addresses were being used in 2 seperate locations.

Anyway - what you are asking, cannot be done.

HTH>

Same IP address scheme was advised by cisco advanced services team, and so far we are good with this without any problem, except this.

what about Cisco Security Manager? I heard using CSM, same security poilcy can be implemented accross multiple security devices on regular intervals, however i am still not sure if that is true...

Are you running the sites as active/active - if you are, how are you geting around the asymetric routing issues?

I do not know anything about the CSM - perhaps you should post a question in the MARS section.

Yes Mohsin there are two ways to do it, either manually or by using a configuration management tool like Cisco CSM. You can definitely make a 'Policy' in CSM and push it to multiple devices.

Regards

Farrukh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card