cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PRI MGCP behavioral question

hauchinango
Level 3
Level 3

I have remote sites with local PRI's for dialtone connected to centralized CCM over an MPLS cloud.

On occasion, the wan will hiccup and go down for a few seconds. During this time, the PRI will fail as well. Most times, the PRI will re-register when the WAN returns to service, but some times I will have to do a manual reset to correct this.

I am running SRST at these sites, but the outage is not long enough to trigger SRST.

My question is this: Is this expected behaviour? Also, can anyone clarify how the MGCP process works with WAN failure.

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

balitewiczp
Level 2
Level 2

do you have the lines

ccm-manager config server x.x.x.x

ccm-manager config

in your running-config.

I have had similiar experiences and found by removing these lines, only adding them when making changes, that my problem was solved.

I do have those lines in my conifgs...I will look at taking those out to see if it helps. Thanks much

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

Specifically bind mgcp control and media to an interface, preferably a loopback interface if possible.

I have come across problems similar to those that you mentioned, which subsequently caused MGCP to bind to a dialer interface for ISDN Backup. When routing reconverged, and the ISDN was torndown MGCP was still bound to the dialer interface which was no longer reachable, consequently packets were black-holed.

When the problem re-occurs verify what the source address is for MGCP, run 'show ip socket' and confirm that the address is reachable. Resetting the gateway will force a download of the config and will re-registered with the highest IP address.

Hope this helps.

Allan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: