cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WIC-1AM Limitations For Remote Out of Band Support

dohogue
Level 1
Level 1

I have the modem working for out of band support in most areas. However, 1 area remains a problem and I am not sure it can be solved.

I know when the router goes into RMON mode access is only available via the console port. If you have an external modem connected (to the console port) you can dial into the router and work.

Since the WIC-1AM is an internal modem (acts like connecting to AUX port) I believe the config must be read b4 the modem is usable. Of course, the config is not read when the router boots in RMON mode. To me this explains why the modem will not answer the incoming call when in RMON mode.

Along that same line, you don't seem to be able "watch console messages" as the router is booting. Where an external modem you can. Is there any way to accomplish that as well with the WIC-1AM.

This is the only drawback I see in using the internal modem vs an external one.

Is there a WIC-1AM firmware upgrade or other way to make the modem answer if the router boots into RMON mode? Is there a way, using the WIC-1AM to monitor console messages when booting before the config is read?

Thanks,

Doug Hogue

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Doug,

Your concerns are very valid ones.

Unfortunately, I don' think there is a way now or in the future for the WIC card to replace console or aux during boot process.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Doug,

Your concerns are very valid ones.

Unfortunately, I don' think there is a way now or in the future for the WIC card to replace console or aux during boot process.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: