alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

hello1

i have 4 layer 3 interface;

int vlan 100(ip:1.1.100.1)

int vlan 101(ip:1.1.101.1)

int vlan 102.(ip:1.1.102.1)

i have to enable ipx network on these vlans.

do i need to assigne different network numberes to these vlan or the same for these 3 vlans ?e,g:

ipx routing

for vlan 100:

int vlan 100

ipx network 100 encapsulation SAP

for vlan 101

int vlan 101

ipx network 101 encapsulation SAP

for vlan 102

int vlan 102

ipx network 102 encapsulation SAP

many thannks

10 Replies 10

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ali

You should have no problem with this configuration as you can use the vlan numbers as your IPX network numbers if that is what you want.

Jon

hello jon!

if i use IPX network 100 for these 3 vlans.does it work

10xs for ur support in this great forum

Ali

BTW how these commands work for ipx in L3 Intefaces:

vlan 101

ipx network 110 encapsulation SAP

vlan 100

ipx network 5

ipx network 100 encapsulation SAP secondary

When assigning network numbers to interfaces that support multiple networks, you can also configure primary and secondary networks.

The first logical network you configure on an interface is considered the primary network. Any additional networks are considered secondary networks. Again, each network on an interface must use a distinct encapsulation and it should match that of the clients and servers using the same network number.

hello Edisson!

10xs for ur reply.plz provide me a link regarding our situation.do i need to configure the network numbere on the servers/clients also?

10xs

The answer depend upon the IPX stack running on those devices.

WindowsXP auto-detects the LAN IPX Network as well as the IPX Frame-Type if running 802.2. I've seen issues auto-detecting 802.3.

As for the servers, same as the clients, it depends. Are you talking about NetWare servers or other OSes ?

Hello Edisson!

yes we have Netware Server1

10xs

You need to bind the LAN IPX Number and Frame-Type manually.

It's been a while since I dealt with NetWare but if I recall, the command is LOAD INETCFG and follow the prompts.

Ali

No you can't use the same IPX network number on the 3 vlans because they are separate vlans. You need to stick with your original addressing scheme and make sure you enable "ipx routing".

Not sure about the "secondary" statement in your other question, perhaps someone else could explain.

Jon

10xs jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: