cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Change Caller ID for external phone calls

sturcott9891
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we recently ordered a Cisco phone system which uses Cisco Call Manager and a bunch of 7961 IP Phones. We need the capability of masking our Caller ID, or "spoofing" our caller id some might say because we do business for many different cities and what we need is for instance if I'm calling from Detroit but I'm calling for a client in Chicago I need a Chicago number to show up. Is that possible with Cisco Call Manager, and if so, how? The main thing is, this has to work externally, we don't really care about what it will say on people's caller id when we're dialing internally. But we need it to say whatever we want when we make a phone call to an external caller. I've looked everywhere through the on-line manuals (we actually don't have the system yet but it's on order) but I don't see any specifics on it. Any ideas?

5 Replies 5

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This is possible if your carrier will allow it. Callmanager can send out any caller ID that you would like, but your carrier has to pass this information without overwriting it. So, first check with your carrier. You can set the external phone number mask on your DNs and set your route patterns to use the calling party's external phone number mask. This will send out the caller ID that is configured on each DN. So, in your case, you could different DNs configured with different external phone number masks. This would require you to choose the proper DN to display the proper caller ID. There is no way that I'm aware of to change the caller ID of a single DN on the fly.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

chris.mann
Level 1
Level 1

You can assign a "Calling Party Transform Mask" at the route pattern level.

So that 9.1313xxxxxxx has one mask, while a 9.1847xxxxxxx would have a different mask.

hope that helps!

Good point!

Brandon

Sooo...what exactly does that mean? Does that mean it can be done without any interaction with our server provider (AT&T)? So you're saying that with the "calling party transform mask" if my number is 15551111 I can make it say 12341111? And I'm assuming I can do that by prefix? Sorry for being ignorant but I'm a Windows guy, phone stuff is new to me. And don't worry, they'll be training me on it before the system comes but since this piece is vital I want to make sure that we can take care of it when the system comes in.

You will still need to make sure that your provider will allow you to spoof the caller ID.

Brandon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: