cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1130 APs getting duration attack

ptnguyen
Level 1
Level 1

I have the 4400 controllers with 1130 APs. I have 32 users connected to two access point. Once users try to log in, the whole network gets really slow. When I sniffed the air there were a lot of "duration attacks"

I found what duration attack means from here: http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/wifi-manager/duration-attack.html

I just want to know if anyone knows how we can prevent this from happening. We tested out HP access points with the same class and doesn't seem to have that issue. Thanks for your help. If you need more info let me know.

5 Replies 5

Not applicable

raun.williams
Level 3
Level 3

Can you narrow down the area it's coming from? If so, you can usually use a product such as Airmagnet or something free like Backtrack 2 to track down the device. I also know there are some issues with certain device drivers that will cause these type of issues on Cisco LWAPP systems and so far in my experience simply updating them can resolve. Depending on how big your wireless network is, you should be able to isolate the area it's occuring fairly easy by simply looking at your map and determining the ap's location

Thanks a lot of the reply. This is how the setup is. We have a class room with 2 access points and around 36 macbook laptops. The macbooks are the old g4s. All the laptops should have been updated to the latest software as well. Somehow I still catch some laptops sending out duration attacks.

From what you describe, I am wondering if you may be affected by a neighboring Meru WLAN. There is a specific issue that exists when a Meru WLAN is adjacent to a Cisco WLAN - See URL:

http://www.fincomone.cz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49&Itemid=130

Excerpt: "Meru's secret [manipulation of the RF] may leave a bitter aftertaste, especially if a neighboring business is running a Meru system on the same channel as your non-Meru system. Cisco was unambiguous in claiming that Meru is violating 802.11 standards by artificially manipulating the NAV (network allocation vector) value in certain duration fields (see "Duration, Duration, Duration" below). Meru denies these allegations, claiming its products are "100 percent standards-compliant." Based on our understanding of 802.11's virtual carrier sense architecture and the role that duration field values play in managing contention, we find Cisco's charges credible, but we'll reserve final judgment until other industry experts weigh in on this controversial issue."

In other words, by manipulating the carrier sense in an unorthodox manner, the Cisco APs never get a chance to talk on the RF.

For some reason, Cisco products appear to be more susceptable to this Meru-induced issue.

Your Cisco WLC should be able to see the adjacent WiFi devices - if any exist.

Or, if you have a wireless sniffer (AirMagnet, etc.), you might be able to see adjacent "rogue" access points. Even a laptop with WiFi might be able to see a list of foreign SSIDs that are not yours.

If you can get the wireless MAC address of these foreign APs (assuming that they are there), you can lookup OUI (the first three bytes of the MAC address) at the following site to determine the manufacturer of the access point:

http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml

If Meru pops up, it might be the source of your problem. If so, you may be able to work around this problem by using a channel other than that of the neighboring Meru WLAN (since Meru uses the *same* channel for *EVERY* access point in its WLAN - yes, bizarre, but true).

Just a thought...

- John

I've now tried to have our 36 laptops authenticated using MAC filtering and no signs of any duration attacks. Is this a fluke or does it say something?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: