cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

flex mode dsp

balitewiczp
Level 2
Level 2

looking for information to help understand flex mode dsp. If I have local hardware conference between local & remote people (711 &729 codecs), does the flex mode provide transcoding, or do I also need to set up transcoding? thanks

5 Replies 5

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

Flex mode is specifically for G711 in order ensure high call density with ISDN PRI trunks.

If you intend to use transcoding and conference resources, then you will need configure the dsp complexity to medium instead.

This incidentally is the default complexity when you enable the dspfarm. You will need to configure and allocate your DSP resources depending on how many transcoding or conferncing sessions you require.

This is subject to how DSPs are actually installed in your router platform. There maybe only sufficient DSP for your E1/T1, therefore you will require additional DSPs in the form of PVDM modules.

Please take time to review the following document, it refers to dspfarms, it also indicates how many pvdms can be supported in various hardware platforms as well as the number of sessions supported per pvdm.

For mixed mode G711, G729a/G729b transcoding/conferincing more DSPs are required due to the complexity.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6441/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080541bf3.html

Hope this helps.

Regards

Allan.

Thank you very much for the clarification

No problem, and good luck.

Allan.

After reading this, the doc says that i will need to make a MTP for transcoding and conferencing. My understanding was that i did not need an MTP for CM 4.X

Am I understanding this correctly?

thanks

Pete

The MTP service can act either like the original software MTP resource or as a transcoding MTP resource. This is obviously depending on how you configure the MTP resource.

For examply when configure IOS hardware based transcoding, your infact configurating an Enhanced IOS MTP.

An MTP service can also provide supplementary services such as hold, transfer, and conferencing when the service is using gateways and clients that do not support the H.323v2 feature of EmptyCapabilitiesSet.

Regards

Allan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: