Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing question....

AuxMax001
Level 1
Level 1

I'm new to networking so be patient.

I have a 2811 router with two Fast Ethernet ports. I've setup inter-vlan routing with dot1q on fa 0/1. I've got a DSL router/modem that will be plugged into FA 0/0. The DSL modem/router is handing out 192.168.2.x addresses whereas I'm using 10.x.x.x. I've disable the DSL router's DHCP server and staticly assigned fa 0/0 a 192.168.2.x IP.

I've turned on RIP v2 on Fa 0/1 and set Fa 0/0 to passive. I can ping the 192 address I assigned on Fa 0/0 from the PC, but can not ping the gateway on the DSL router (192.168.2.1), nor can I get to the internet.

I know I'm missing something...any advice would be very helpful.

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

It sounds like your DSL modem router does not have a route back to your 10.x.x.x addresses.

Try adding a route to your DSL modem/route for 10.x.x.x with the next hop of fa0/0's ip address - 192.168.2.x ?

You say you have turned on RIPv2. Is the DSL router running RIPv2 ?

Jon

Might be tough to add a route.

The DSL modem/router is a rebranded Zyxel P-660R. It's a pretty simple residental device, with no apparent CLI (will double check).

Also, from the console, I can ping the ZyXEL device (and everything else), but not from the PC.

I'm running RIP V2 on both devices (Zyxel has a v2 broadcast and multicast..I've set it to multicast).

Thanks

You may be facing a routing problem as Jon stated but also you will be facing a NAT issue.

Often SOHO devices only allow one network in their NAT table (regularly 192.168.1.x/24 - in your case 192.168.2.x/24)

If you really want to make this work, I suggest purchasing a DSL interface for the 2811 router and place the router as the edge device.

I think Edison is right.

The only other option if you don't want to purchase a DSL interface for the 2800 is you could NAT all your 10.x.x.x addresses to the 192.168.2.x address on the outside interface of your 2800 router.

Jon

Yeah, I searched around and found a similar issue on another board. I added this statement a day ago and the Internet started working....

Now, the big question, what's the downside?

Hi

Do you mean you added NAT statements on your 2800 and it started working.

No big downside other than there is a finite number of translations but unless you have a large number of hosts chances are you should be okay and NAT can "break" certain applications. Most work okay but you may have particular apps that just don't work.

Standard internet stuff eg. http/ftp etc. work fine with NAT.

Jon

what statement did you add. I am having the same issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card