Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to increase SBRS for a domain?

I've implemented a new mail system for a new company recently. But some staffs in this company reported that they could not send email to some domains like hotmail.com, msn.com,etc. So I go to senderbase.org to check my company IP address and "Email Reputation Score: Poor". How can I increase the SBRS? and also can I know the reason why this IP has a poor email reputation score?

3 Replies 3

With Hotmail - it should help (according to their website) if you have SenderID and SPF records for your domain.

If your email is "worth money" then you can pay a company like SenderScore Certified a chunk of money and get onto their whitelist (which Hotmail and other major email providers use). Ironport used to own SenderScore (under another name) but it is totally seperate now.

You can also improve your SBRS by making sure none of your email addresses forward email out of your Ironport (as they will be also forwarding spam out too).

If you have mailing lists - make sure they do proper forwarding (ie not an Exchange DL or UNIX /etc/aliases) as they make it look like you are forging other people's domain names.

Oh yeah - if you have any spammer issues on your network - fix them too :)

hotmail will request you have an spf record to help with delivery, and of course they will suggest it be defined as strict as possible.

My experience with a number of new IP addresses that had no reputation score because they had never been used before was not good. My mail was being dropped by what they called their "smart filters". It took quite awhile and several email messages to support before hotmail made an accomidation to accept our email on a temporary basis to teach their smart filters (or so they said).

You probably should at least try to follow their reccomendations before asking for anything further.

http://postmaster.msn.com/Troubleshooting.aspx

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

Also you may want to verify if you have the correct DNS information for your domain.

Here is a great article that goes into detail on this:

http://www.pkguild.com/?p=7

With Hotmail - it should help (according to their website) if you have SenderID and SPF records for your domain.

If your email is "worth money" then you can pay a company like SenderScore Certified a chunk of money and get onto their whitelist (which Hotmail and other major email providers use). Ironport used to own SenderScore (under another name) but it is totally seperate now.

You can also improve your SBRS by making sure none of your email addresses forward email out of your Ironport (as they will be also forwarding spam out too).

If you have mailing lists - make sure they do proper forwarding (ie not an Exchange DL or UNIX /etc/aliases) as they make it look like you are forging other people's domain names.

Oh yeah - if you have any spammer issues on your network - fix them too :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: