Weird problem with Hypertiminal on windows 2000

Answered Question

Hi all:

I got an old P-III pc yesterday and used hyperterminal in it to connect to 6 of my lower-end cisco routers and switch.

All of the six devices worked fine by the following standards: I was able to get inside the devices and do "show ip interface brief", copy run to startup, etc.

But today, all of sudden, I can't do any of them now. The Hyperterminal seems not commnunincate with devices. Either the screen keeps blank; or in some cases show very little booting initial info and responded to “ctrl+break” and goes into “>” prompt, but then not respond to any key input any more.

I've check the setting of Hyperterminal: 9600, 8, none, 1 and none. Is this something wrong with the Hyperterminial?

What the problem might be?

Thanks,

Han,

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by ccbootcamp about 9 years 1 week ago

Two things you can do:

1) On older PCs for some reason, the serial 16550 controller (or whatever controller is on the board) likes it when hyperterminal is in hardware flowcontrol (try hardware flow control first, then try xon/xoff software flow control). My guess is changing the flow control will resolve your issue. Sometimes you need to exit out of HT and then re-open the app for the flow control to properly take effect.

2) Download hyperterminal private edition. The buffer seems to work much better than the freebie that comes with winblows.

http://www.hilgraeve.com/htpe/download.html

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post!)

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
ccbootcamp Sat, 12/01/2007 - 10:41

Two things you can do:

1) On older PCs for some reason, the serial 16550 controller (or whatever controller is on the board) likes it when hyperterminal is in hardware flowcontrol (try hardware flow control first, then try xon/xoff software flow control). My guess is changing the flow control will resolve your issue. Sometimes you need to exit out of HT and then re-open the app for the flow control to properly take effect.

2) Download hyperterminal private edition. The buffer seems to work much better than the freebie that comes with winblows.

http://www.hilgraeve.com/htpe/download.html

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post!)

Actions

This Discussion