cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

delete mailbox

mike.lo
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using Unity 4.0 and find the following problem.

One of the user left company and the configuration is listed as below.

First Name=Peter

Last Name=Chan

Alias=1234

Now, a new user with using the same extension as Peter. So I delete Peter's mailbox and re-create as below configuration:

First Name=Mary

Second Name=Tai

Alias=1234

Since Peter not listen all message in his old mailbox, so we find that MWI of Mary's mailbox always turn-on even she listen all messages and deleted.

Is there any proper procedures to delete the mailbox?

7 Replies 7

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mike -

When you delete a subscriber in Unity, the AD account and attached mailbox are not deleted (unless you have configured Unity to have the permissions to create and delete accounts). How did you create Mary's Unity account? Did you by any chance import using the same account and mailbox that had been used by Peter? If that is the case, then there could be remaining messages in the mailbox. The proper way to delete a Unity subscriber is:

- Access user's inbox and Edit Mark as Read all remaining new voice messages from Inbox and Deleted Items. This allows MWI to resynch.

- Then delete from Unity

- Delete AD account and associated mailbox

- Create new AD account and mailbox

- Import into Unity; or create from within Unity if you have Unity configured to do so.

Ginger

Ginger,

I remember a while ago you posted a way to give the directory account the permissions to create and delete if you didn't during installation.

Am I correct, did you post that or am i delusional?

If you know how can you repost?

rlp and thanks

Hi -

This forum post is probably the most current - http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications%20Applications&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddf716b

You should be able to rerun Permissions Wizard and Message Store Configuration Wizard and select the options for Unity to create user accounts, instead of just importing.

Hope this helps! Ginger

Hi Ginger,

Thanks for your information.

When I delete Peter's mailbox, firstly, I use Unity System Admin -> Subscribers to delete it. After that, I go to Start -> Program -> Microsoft Exchange -> AD Users and Computer to delete its AD a/c. I think it is the proper steps to delete mailbox.

Then, to create Mary's mailbox. I just go to Unity System Admin -> Subscribers and click Add Subscribers icon. The setting is the same as Peter's mailbox except the first name and last name are different.

I believe I miss some steps while delete mailbox.

So, where can I find the User Inbox folder in Unity Server?

Hi Mike -

When you deleted the account by using AD Users and Computers, it should have prompted you to also delete the associated mailbox. If you did not select this option, the mailbox is sitting in the Exchange information store disconnected. You can search for the mailbox to see if it still exists by using Exchange System Manager from your Unity server. Go to Start -> Program -> Microsoft Exchange -> System Manager. Note: If you are not familiar with managing Exchange nor the person responsible for this at your office, I would consult further with your Exchange team. Expand Administrative Groups and select yours (the default is First Administrative Group, but your AD folks may have created a special one). Expand your group and then expand the Servers container. Select the mail server where your Unity accounts are created. Continue expanding until you reach the mailbox store and Mailboxes container that contains the mailbox, listed alphabetically by Display Name. If you see Peter's mailbox, you can run Cleanup Agent by right-clicking the Mailboxes container and select Run Cleanup Agent. This will process any bad mailboxes, for example, those that are not connected with AD accounts and put a Red X on the mailbox. You can then Purge the mailbox. That being said, I don't think Unity is creating Mary's AD account when you click Add Subscribers and reassociating Peter's mailbox with it. I'm more inclined to think you have a different MWI problem with Mary's inbox. Are you seeing any errors in Unity's application event log when Mary checks her voice messages? As an Exchange admin, I would take a look at Mary's mailbox from within Outlook to confirm the messages there are only hers and test leaving a couple of voice messages.

Ginger

Thanks for great help.

To delete account by AD Users and Computers, can I just press the "X" icon on the top tool bar after I highlight the account?

Hi -

While you can delete an account this way, in my opinion it is riskier than this method:

1. From within ADUC, select Find an object

2. Select the specific userid and click Find

3. Right-click the user and select Delete

This way, you ensure the right account is deleted, instead of an OU or other object you did not intend to delete.

Ginger

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: