cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cant ping

korbenda11as
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, from the attached diagram, why i cannot ping from router A to router C? and vice versa. Router B and C can ping to each other connected and configured for frame_relay using serial cables back-to-back. Router E is configured as frame_switch. What other alternative connections can I used since i need to connect 3 routers as hub and spoke to router E? Any suggestions? I want to simulate frame relay connection. thanks

17 Replies 17

korbenda11as
Level 1
Level 1

forgot the attachment..

ccbootcamp
Level 7
Level 7

Post your configs from your routers.

What type of routing are you doing? Statics? routing protocol? need mroe information here.

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post!)

For the frame_relay switch:

Frame-relay switching

interface s0/0

encapsulation frame-relay

clockrate 64000

frame-relay lmi-type ansi

frame-relay intf-type dce

frame-relay route 210 interface serial0/1 200

!

interface s0/1

clockrate 64000

frame-relay lmi-type ansi

frame-relay intf-type dce

frame-relay route 200 interface serial0/0 210

Router B

interface serial0/0

ip address 192.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

frame-relay lm1-type ansi

Router C

interface serial0/0

ip address 192.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

frame-relay lm1-type ansi

For router A and B i just group it into VLAN and configured just the ip address to the interface. there's no static routes been configured yet. no dynamic protocol configured. what should be the next thing to do? From router A to B i can ping but not to C and D. Router B and C can ping to each other? could you help me how to configure the static route. thanks

post your other configs too

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post if this helps!)

hi,

1.why cant ping from A to C??

>>>> Obviously as no routing configured.

2.Can ping from B to C

>>>> Yes,the interface are in same network(NBMA) of frame relay.

3.How to achive the connectivity??

If ur number of networks are less u can go for static routing.Configure default routes on A and D towards the next hop(ie B and C).

Configure specific static routes on B and C for reaching other networks..

U mentioned abt hub n spoke on above post.Is that u want to make C as hub??

thanks, yes i want actually to connect the third router to my frame-switch router, however, I am short of smart serial cables, that's why i just connect the third router to frame-switch via back-to-back gig port, will this work? are there any other options? thanks.

Just run EIGRP or some type of routing protocol. That will take care of it for ya.

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post!)

can i really route from router A to frame relay cloud? My friends saying that this cannot be done, since frame relay is L2 and im routing L3?

Your going to run it on your L3 interfaces/network. EIGRP will DEFINITELY work across a FR cloud. If not, then I have about 200+ customers to go to and re-do their network! :)

Who's this friend of yours? Does he work for Juniper? LOL...sorry, couldn't resist.

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post if I helped ya!)

Hi brad, thanks for answering my questions. Actually i put default route in router A of ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 next hop is router B's gig interface but how come i cannot still ping router C or router on other network? in router B i configure a static route to router D's network with my next hop is router B's serial which is connected to frame switch, but still cannot ping router C or D from router A?

Does router C have a route back to router A?

You need to have routes going to and from the devices you are trying to reach.

Think it out.

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

thanks mate!

from the "thanks mate" I'm guessing you got it resolved?

you're welcome!!! :)

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

yeah....i configured EIGRP and it was resolved. thanks mate!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: