Views
Helpful
Replies

What's the meaning of Po1 port type?

mirtenmous
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I am doing a sh mac-address-table in Cisco Catalyst 3750 switch and I don't know what's the meaning of Po1 in the type of port.

Anybody can say me it?.

This is a line of cmmand output.

11 0013.c3bb.4185 DYNAMIC Po1

11 Replies 11

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

you must have configured etherchannel in your switches.

Po1 means that the MAC is learnt from a port channel interface

HTH

Narayan

Ok thanks.

I would like to know in what port number is the device with this MAC.

Is it possible?.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It means the mac address is being learned over port-channel 1 .

Hi, thanks.

I say to you the same that I said to royalblues.

Since the MAC is from a PO1 interface, it is mostly being learnt from the uplink to another switch

See what switch is connected on the other side of the port channel and then issue the command to get the port.

sh mac-address-table address 0013.c3bb.4185

It is quite possible that you may have to repeat this excercise upto the edge switch where the device is connected.

HTH

Narayan

Hi.

I entered sh mac-address-table address 0013.c3bb.4185 command in my core switch and now port is Po3.

I don't know where I must to do know to find it because this is my core switch

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Narayan stated, Port-Channel1 is a logical interface created when Etherchanneling is configured.

To find the physical interfaces that are member of that port channel, execute the show etherchannel summary command.

Once you find the interfaces, you can execute a show cdp nei to find the switch that is originating this MAC Address.

Telnet to that switch and execute the show mac-address-table command once again to find the egress port.

My core switch and a voice gateway is in the etherchannel group how I can see with commands that you say me.

I find thi MAC in core switch and now in type of port of this MAC it shows Po3 but I don't know where I must to see know because this is my core switch and I think that it is no more switch in etherchannel group.

Well actually Edison has given you the answer. Hopefully it wasn't you that rated the post as 1 as Edison's answers was, as usual, very helpful.

If the mac-address is on Po3

sh etherchannel summary

this will list all Po interfaces and the physcial interfaces that make up each Po logical interface. So lets assume gi1/2 is one of the physical interfaces

then you do

1) sh cdp neigh g1/2 det

this should give you the IP address of the switch at the other end of Po3.

The above assumes you are running CDP and that you have management addresses on the switch.

Jon

I am sorry to say you that your post and the Edison post are not helpful

I repeat your procedure from first switch where this MAC appear and I could discover the last switch in ehterchannel group but It isn't wanted MAC there.

LuisBadilla
Level 1
Level 1

El problema es que cuando se crea el channel-group1(port-channel 1), el MultiLayer crea una interfaz virtual llamada Po1, y se asigna de manera automática a la Vlan1, como los puertos que conforman el channel-group están en modo troncal da el problema de que no se encuentran dentro de los mismo parámetros.

Solución: Ingresar a la interface Port-channel2,  indicarle que va trabajar de manera troncal con la encapsulación dot1q (switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q), luego indicarle que va trabajar de modo troncal (switchport mode trunk).

Ingresar al rango de puertos, apagarlos y luego encenderlos.

Espero que les sirva.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: