Views
Helpful
Replies

Network traffic load balancing by static routes

acharyr123
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

We are going to implement a campus network with cisco 6500 (6513 core), 4500 (4507R distribution), 2960 as edge level switches. All firewall are with v7.0 or above.

I want to achieve load balancing acros the entire n/w without implementing any dynamic routing protocol.

Is this is possible using static route??

can someone help me on this plese!!!

7 Replies 7

yassine-m
Level 1
Level 1

It seems that it's possible by using cost in the IP Route command, like this :

ip route 192.168.8.0 255.255.255.0 Serial1/3 10

ip route 192.168.8.0 255.255.255.0 Serial1/0 10

Hope that it will help you.

Br

in this case the no of routes will be much more in the n/w as & when the n/w grows. how about cef??

CEF FIB table is populated with the help of the routing table only. For the CEF table to have multiple entries, you would need multiple routes in the routing protocol.

Earlier there used to be a limit of a maximum of 8 paths that could be installed in the routing table but with the newer IOS it has been increased to 16 i think

HTH

Narayan

Hi all,

sorry to interrupt in discussion,

i have small question, if i have internet connection on router having two ISP connected, can i configure two default routes having same metric on different interface to achieve Load Balancing without the use of any load balancing device.

Thanks,

Dhaval Tandel

yes it would if both the connections are leading to the same ISP.

However if the ISP connections are different, you would be required to have your own subnet either from APNIC /ARIN etc.

HTH

Narayan

For outgoing traffic it will work but what about the incoming traffic.

Subnets of one ISP are not routed by the other ISP. So if you have a subnet from ISP A & link to that iSP goes down, how'll ISP B route the traffic to your site if you have static routes to ISP.

You need to use BGP between the 2 ISP's.

Request you to initiate a new discussion on this question. Else original Poster's question will deviate.

pls rate if helped.

Yes....u can do so if natting part u can complete. i mean to say how will the natting take place in this case???

u connect 1 L3 switch b/w router & say f/w. Connect 2 fe ports to router 2 fe ports..in this scenario natting will be done & u an achieve ur desirable output of load balancing..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: