Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 VSS

ciscors
Level 1
Level 1

Guys

I want to know when should I recommend the 6500 VSS and when to recommend the plain 6500's? If there are only advantages to going with VSS, why would anybody recommend the separate 6500's at the core solution?

1) Also, is there a risk going with a new product like the VSS or does Cisco have some documented case studies with customers already running it?

2) Can one use the 6500 VSS and install two switches in a traditional way using HSRP?

Thank you

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1) Purchasing such device and placing it in a Lab environment with your current configuration would be the correct course of action.

2) Yes.

am i right that the VSS allows each 6500 switch to contain only one supervisor?

Yes. You need Supervisor 720-10G though.

Now that VSS is out, I'm building this design into my routed access design (L3 to the edge) and had some questions

1) Instead or running equal-cost EIGRP paths from each 3750 access switch stack, should I just run an MEC to both cores?

2) Is the VSS link (I'm using 2 10GB links) to be used only for control plan or data traffic too? Would this link be a L2 or L3 link?

3) Does anything else change in terms or design?

Also, would my 3750 links to each 6500 be layer 2 MEC links or L3 MEC links?

It will be L2 MEC links. Also by implementing this way, you can get rid of STP and HSRP in your environment. Also these links can be loadshared. The links from the 3750 access towards the core would be running MultiChassis EtherChannel.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card