Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help in cisco hardware choice...

Alexander Demin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

Recently I started moving my network structure towards hierarchial model recommended by Cisco.

During this proccess I got confused with making choice of active network hardware (Cisco, of course ;)) needed in my case.

Now about what I've got:

Four-storeyed building, each floor has 37-40 workplaces. Backbone (vertical) cabling (floor wiring closets with main wiring closet) is Multi-mode Fiber. Server farm with 15-20 servers. I have voice gateway (cisco2811+CCME),access server gateway (cisco2511), gateway+firewall (edge router to Internet) and DMZ with pop3/smtp and http servers.

In the Access Layer I plan to use 48-port Gbit swithces for workgroups (one per floor), one 24-port Gbit switch for server farm, one 24-port Gbit switch for WAN block (and make DMZ with vlan on it).

In the Core+distribution Layer I plan to use two L2/L3 switches and connect them with access layer swithces with fiber MM links (two links to two L3 switches per access switch).

The first question is can I connect voice gateway and as2511 directly to one of the L3 switches (for less delays) or to one of the access layer switches (for higher avaliability) ?

The second question - what cisco switches to use on each layer?

For now I plan for the Access layer: WS-C3560G-48TS-S (Catalyst 3560 48 10/100/1000T + 4 SFP Standard Image) with two GLC-SX-MM (1000BASE-SX SFP transceiver module for MMF, 850-nm wavelength).

And for the core layer - WS-C3750G-24TS-S1U (Catalyst 3750 24 10/100/1000 + 4 SFP Std Multilayer;1RU.

Please let me know wether it is a good choice or there are better recommendations.

Thanks!

Alex

DAO21-RIPE
1 Reply 1

wdrootz
Level 4
Level 4

Answer for Q1) If you are planning for a redundant voice gateway, you can connect them via an access switch. Else, you can directly connect to the core.

Answer for Q2) 3560 is a good choice for access layer. But for distribution/core you cane go for 4500 series, as they are easlily scalable and giver better throughtput than 3750s.

There are couple of reference network designs, which you can have a look.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns656/networking_solutions_design_guidances_list.html#anchor2