cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can wired and wireless clients use same VLAN on WLC 2106?

cit-london
Level 1
Level 1

My setup is basic with ap-manager and management interfaces both untagged and two dynamic interfaces on VLANs 1 and 2. The WLC2106 is connected to a L3 C3560 through a dot1q trunk native VLAN 4. Ap-manager and management interfaces are managed from VLAN 4 with no problem. VLANS 1, 2 & 4 are on different IP subnets. Problem is I need to use a RADIUS server on VLAN 1 but the WLC can't ping the server on VLAN 1.

I have seen similar queries which do not give a definitive answer e.g. http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=Getting%20Started%20with%20Wireless&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddf8d3e/3#selected_message

5 Replies 5

ccbootcamp
Level 7
Level 7

If the post you are referring to is correct, then I would lean towards NO as an answer to your question and recommend a routing solution between your VLANs. Can you handle the routing between the VLANs on the L3 C3560 so the WLC can get to it?

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post if this helps!)

Brad, routing is already enabled on C3560. Actually according to docs I've seen (& packet capture on trunk) when you ping a device on the wired LAN from the WLC, the source address is that of the dynamic interface. So it means there is really no routing because the dynamic interface & wired device are on same subnet. I actually suspect this is the root of the issue i.e. arp requests at the switch end not getting onto the wired VLAN.

Can you stick another NIC on the radius box? Put it on the same vlan as the WLC wired network with an IP in the dynamic interface's subnet.

Kind of a bandaid, but it should work.

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post if this helps!)

I really would like to avoid any solution that requires creating additional subnets. If all fails I'll have to set up different subnets for wired and wireless clients. I just wanted to get absolute confirmation that wired & wireles clients can't be on same VLAN before exploring more painful options. Thanks for trying to help.

I ran into a similar problem myself with my 1811W. Different scenario than the one you are doing, but same outcome.

-b

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: