cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 877 CISCO877W-G-A-K9

nileshmathure
Level 5
Level 5

We have a network admin who bought two of these 877 routers (MFG# CISCO877W-G-A-K9) after opening both the boxes he realised he wanted to get a router with 10/100 ethernet port on the WAN side. Since Cisco has this policy of no RMA for opened boxes I guess he will be stuck with it. Is there anyway he can change one of the ethernet Lan ports to WAN thorugh IOS ? Any other suggestions are welcome. The only option he has is to plug into a 10/100 ethernet WAN port, so he should have got Cisco871 but he didnt do his homework well.

Thanks

Nilesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

the WAN port is a ADSL Port! ... you can't use. it for Ethernet -> it wont work!

you can only use one of the 4 lan ports for ethernet connectivity.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

AFAIK yes ... but the config that is for the wan port mußt be at a vlan interface and then one of the 4 FE port must be configured with switchport access vlan [number]

the config that on thr right router (cisco 871) comes in the Fa0 Port, comes here into the vlan that i named above. And here is the 2nd problem, with the standrd ios (adv. security) you can only use 1 vlan ... you would need to upgrade to ad. ip services to get more vlans (at least 2 in this case).

Thanks Martin for a quick reply.

So now 1 option is to upgrade the IOS.

What if get him to create a cable with rj45 at one end and rj11 at the other end. OR maybe use rj11 to rj11 cable and plug the rj11 connector into rj45 of the ISP router(not cisco). do you think this will work ?

Also he needs to configure the pci/vci parameters for adsl which he should be able to i guess from CLI of the IOS.

Thanks for you help on this.

Regards

Nilesh

one more thing. a straight through cable will do or i need a cross over cable ?

Nilesh

Hi,

the WAN port is a ADSL Port! ... you can't use. it for Ethernet -> it wont work!

you can only use one of the 4 lan ports for ethernet connectivity.

the only point that i see is that he use the 877 instead of the modem from the provider and connect directly to thte dsl line ... but for that you have to know something about the ISP settings (VPI/VCI, DSL mode, and so on).

Thanks again Martin. Yeah I suggested him to replace the modem provided by the ISP with this but he is not willing to do that. The only solution here then will be to upgrade his IOS have more vlans and configure as you had suggested ?

Thanks and Regards

Nilesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card