cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

whatif traffic comes from devices with ip address instead of hostname????

ranidalal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello friends,

Can anybody tell me how to solve issue if traffice from certain devices are coming/going with an ip address instead of hostnmae?

I checked config & seems all right, but DNSIX is not enabled on those devices. does it make any sense???

Please tell me how to fix this problem..

waiting for satisfactory answer.

Thanks..:-)

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

That usually indicated that the reporting system does not have access to DNS; i.e., it has no way to interpret the addresses it's getting into names.

With the possible exception of NETBEUI/NETBIOS, hostnames are not transmitted with TCP/IP.

The receiving system would receive the traffic, then do a DNS lookup to see what the associated hostname is (if it has that capability).

Some analyzers require you in manually map hostnames to addresses, but thats usually a MAC / Layer 2 mapping.

If the system you're looking at shows some devices with hostnames, but not others, then I believe that would indicated that those devices are not listed / registered on the DNS that your system is querying.

Good Luck

Scott

Thanks Scott!!!

you are right..reporting system could see hostname from other devices , but not from certain devices. Then how to check whether those devices are listed/registered in DNS..??

Appreciate your help :-)

Try pinging them from another host.

For example, if you do a "ping -a

" (from MS windows) the "-a" says to return a hostname in addition to an address like:

"Pinging with XX bytes of data"

If the owner of the address hasn't registerd the host, there's not much you can do about it.

If you get the right hostname on teh PC, but you don't get it from the device you've posted about ... then see if they're pointing to the same DNS.

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card