Firmware upgrade and checking

Unanswered Question
Dec 4th, 2007

Hi all,

My users now complaining that their IP phones are upgrading suddenly while the firmware upgrade has been implemented several months ago. Can someone explain that ? And to prevent the problem to appear again, is there any powerful tool for checking the actual firmware installed in each IP phones now beside using http://<IP_address> and show cdp neighbor detail?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
allan.thomas Wed, 12/05/2007 - 01:11

Here what I suspect has happend in your instance. The question is after the device-pack or the individual firmware was installed was the appropriate device reset?

If this was not the case, the normally the phone establishes communication with the Cisco CallManager that is highest in the prioritised list and sends a registration request.

If the phone requests a .cnf file rather than an .xml file, the phone also sends a version request and checks the current phone load version.

If the phone needs a new phone load, it aborts the registration process and downloads the current phone load from the TFTP server.

Once the phone has downloaded the new firmware, the phone continues its registration with Cisco CallManager.

Therefore in your case, an event must have occurred which resulted in the phones re-registering, either a Device-Pool was reset, or the CCM service was either stopped or restarted? Check the event-logs around the time the phone started to upgrade.

This Discussion