cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Signal issues

Kerberos24
Level 1
Level 1

We just purchased a 3 pack of the Cisco Aironet 1100 APs. I have setup approximately 10 of these in the past, but still am not sure what some of the stuff means. I generally just do the express setup and turn on the wireless and thats it. The last one out of this 3 pack that I setup has a very weak signal. I can connect to it, but the signal is low and the device is literally sitting 10 feet from me. I have wiped it and set it up again thinking I made a mistake. This was not the case. Same thing. My laptop and a few other test laptops show a low signal when sitting right next to it. Any thoughts?

3 Replies 3

john.preves
Level 4
Level 4

Define "low". Does your laptop say 'low' or are you seeing issues with an actual piece of software such as the Cisco /Aironet Site survey tool?

You need to know what low is. Are you having issues opening applications or is the bar graph just not green?

In the event that you are having issues, then you determine what good looks like so you have a baseline to measure your issue against.

Issues can be as easy as not being connected to the AP you think you are, a loose antenna connector, to more complicated multipath interferences.

first check connectors, change channels, and move the device a few inches (about half the space between the diversity antennas or so) and see if it gets any better.

Try another AP that you know works in the same area. If the problem is interference, it should happen to the new AP as well. As a double check, see if the questionable AP works where you got the other one from.

good luck

I am an IS analyst for a rather large company and have setup numerous Aironet 1100's in the past. This one is not functioning properly. It is in my office and when I connect to it, which is the correct AP because I named it for our company and designated that this was #2, I have a low signal strength. I am basing my findings off of the microsoft and dell built in tools, but when I disconnect the AP in question and make the laptop connect to the other AP in the office, also an 1100, it has a stronger signal than the one sitting in my office. And it is over 200 feet away.

There is no antenna on the 1100, network cable has been swapped out and power cable is good because it comes on.

Sorry man, most likely you did all the steps I outlined. If you can swap ap's with a good one and the same issue occurs in opposite places then replace the bad ap...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card