cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can RPS 2300 power more than 2 switches?

mrbenconrad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I've got a RPS 2300 with (2) C3K-PWR-1150WAC power supplies installed. 'show env rps' states that there is 300W/850W for system/PoE. I'm not using and never will use PoE on the 3750E switches that I will plut into the RPS.

I know that the RPS will power 2 3750E's no problem. Can I use the same RPS to power a 3rd, 4th 3750E (no PoE)? I'm mainly interested in protecting us from a UPS or electrical circuit issue rather than multiple 3750E internal power supplies going bad.

So my proposed setup would be something like:

RPS-powersupply-1 <> Circuit-B

RPS-powersupply-2 <> Circuit-C

Internal power RPS power

_________ ___________

Circuit-A <> 3750E-1 <> RPS-port-1

Circuit-A <> 3750E-2 <> RPS-port-2

Circuit-A <> 3750E-3 <> RPS-port-3

Circuit-A <> 3750E-4 <> RPS-port-4

The switch config guide says that the RPS will provide power to ports based on their priorities and that if it still has power available that it will continue providing power to additional RPS ports. I'm wondering since I'm only using "system" power how much power can I use. System power seems to be where I need to be worried.

Thanks,

Ben

5 Replies 5

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi The cisco 2300 RPS can handle up to six devices connected to it, the problem is it can only actively supply power based on the power supply modules in the RPS. The unit is capable of backing up power to 2 48 port switches based on the two power supplies installed, if you don't use the PoE it's possible you can power a third switch.

Check out the link below for more information.

HTH

The Cisco RPS 2300 can provide complete internal power supply redundancy for up to two attached networking devices. It has two power supply bays in a 1 rack-unit form factor, and can accept 1150W AC or 750W AC power supply modules. These power supply modules are also used with Cisco Catalyst® 3750-E and 3560-E Series Switches. With two 1150W AC power supplies, the Cisco RPS 2300 is capable of fully backing up two 48-port switches delivering 15.4W of PoE on all ports. The Cisco RPS 2300 also has a replaceable fan module.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7148/products_qanda_item0900aecd805bbf21.shtml

I re-read the summary docs and it does look like there is only room for 2 switches on "system" power.

Thanks,

Ben

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have to remember what these are used for . These are not backup power supplies per se . These only supply power to the 3750's if for some reason the internal 3750 power supply bites the dust or the power ckt. feeding the 3750 goes dead , this assumes that the 2300 is on a different power supply than the 3750 ckt that went dead or the rps is plugged into a ups that supplies it power . The rps still needs to be plugged into a ups to have any kind of backup capability so you have to look at the rps supply and also the ups supply and how long it can sustain the power drain you are looking at in a complete power failure scenario. The rps is not any kind of ups backup , that is not its function , you are at the mercy of the ups . it is mainly for internal switch power supply failure which will keep the switch running until you get a replacement.

I understand that the RPS != UPS.

Our circuits are run through multiple UPS'es which are fed either by street power or 1 of the 2 generators on our roof.

rballester1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Sr.

i see this post is since 9 years ago, but i have the same doubt, this is my post:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/13255276/how-many-rps-2300-i-need

can you helpme?

regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card